Journal Mitzvah

Journal Mitzvah

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Pearls of Wisdom… A Word for the Ages בס"ד





Rebbetzin Margulya was the mother of the Gaon, Rav Meir Shapiro, ztl,
the Rav of Lublin and the Rosh Yeshivah of Yeshivas Chachmei Lublin.

She devoted her life to ensuring that her son would eventually grow into a
Gadol B’Yisroel, and every day she reminded him that a day without learning
Torah is a day wasted. When Rav Meir Shapiro began to learn Chumash,
Rebbetzin Margulya prepared a beautiful Seudah for the local Rabbanim, as an
indication of her great love for Torah. Reb Meir Shapiro once told a childhood
story about his mother. “When I was a boy, my family was forced to move
several times from house to house, and from city to city. The constant moving
did not bother my mother, but only one thing would disturb her— my Bitul
Torah, when I was not able to learn Torah! On one occasion, as we were again
preparing to move, my mother contacted the Rebbe of the town to which we
were moving, and arranged that he would meet me by the gate of the city so that
he could be able to learn with me immediately when we arrived at the town.

When we finally reached our destination, we searched and searched, but the
Rebbe was not there. My mother sat down in despair next to the wagon and
cried for a long time. I tried to calm her down by saying, ‘Mommy, why are you
crying? I’ll learn tomorrow!’ My mother answered me, ‘Meir! You don’t yet
know how to appreciate the meaning of one day of Torah learning, and what
wasting a single day of Torah learning really means!” (Chaim Sheyeish Bahem).

From Torah U'Tefilah newsletter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment